If I could go back to 16 year old me and give her once piece of advice it would be this- shave your head, girl- well at least part of it. Okay... maybe I'd have more sage advice to give but I'm serious when I say an undercut changed my hair life.
I have had exceptionally thick hair all of my life. When I was a kid I often sported a triangular 'do because it was before the days of hair straighteners and anti-humidity spray. Then I had really short hair for a while because I couldn't take the upkeep. Not to mention it was heavy af and hot. Sometime in my late 20s I took the plunge on a tiny little undercut and both the undercut and my obsession have continued to grow.
Fast forward to today and the buzz now goes from ear to ear and I can't image life without it Now- onto the good stuff. I get all kinds of questions about my undercut so I wanted to answer them from my perspective. So if you're wondering "What in the world is she thinking with that haircut?!" or "Do I need an undercut"
- Hot & Heavy: An undercut will immediately do two things- it will lighten your hair load and it will chill you out. If you suffer from ponytail headaches this maybe for you.
- But, why?: I got an undercut because of the above reasons. I also think they look cool.
- DIY BUZZ: I've cut my own but I prefer to go to the salon. My local spot charges me for a bang trim and it's usually around $5. Whether at home or the salon I cut it as short as possible because I want to have as much time a possible between cuts.
- Spotlight: "Do people notice it?" To be honest, not usually. I can wear a pony tail, braids, whatever and people usually don't even see it's there until I point it out.
- Grown: "What happens when you want to grow it out?" Good questions. It's been about 3 years since the initial buzz and I have no plans to go back. But I'll let you know if and when the time comes.
The moral of the story is that I'm way into it and I'm convinced that anyone/everyone with thick hair should get on this bandwagon. Have any other questions? Drop them in the comments!